Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:45:11 +0200
On Friday 04 June 2010 13:11:25 Anton Aylward wrote:
I have a friend who works for a company that sells SSD to major
corporations. I've seen their sales presentation. It does not
mention booting; it does not mention application start-up time.
They pitch to database users.

That is the context that big SSD is selling into.

Of course they would not pitch boot times to a server market. In the same
light, do you pitch selling a consumer grade MLC based SSD by telling a home
user how much of a performance gain he will get by storing his terabyte DB on
a large SSD array?

I touched on a context before in this thread where I receive significant gains
in productivity and performance from using a consumer grade MLC based drive. I
frequently swap between many eclipse workspaces that hold projects with large
source trees. Having my workspaces and projects on an SSD gives me performance
gains of an order of magnitude over HDD.

Sure, having plenty of RAM has always been sensible but to equate holding in
RAM the handful of dependent libraries that your browser uses, versus reading
tens of thousands of source files is pointless.

You don't buy an SSD so that firefox loads faster on the second time around.
You buy an SSD so that everything loads fast, all the time. Something that no
amount of RAM in the world will help you with.

--
“What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”
- Christopher Hitchens