[opensuse] Finding largest MTU an interface supports on openSUSE 11.2
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 10:26:42 +0200
I am trying to set up jumbo frames on an openSUSE 11.2 system. I guess I
do that by setting the MTU. When I set this value in YAST, I am
uncertain if the value I set is really supported by the underlying
device. For example, I have a "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)", using the r8169 driver. I set the MTU to
7200, and it seems to accept this.

Is there a command to find the max MTU for any given device? I don't see
that in ethtool. But it likes to use jargon, so maybe it is there and I
do not recognize it.

I can try different settings with ifconfig, waiting until a value fails.
But there must be a better way to find the max MTU supported.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB