Re: [opensuse] unable to login to KDE under newly installed 11.2
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 08:11:10 -0400
Julien Michielsen said the following on 06/03/2010 04:38 AM:

This gets around the issue of the {GKX}DM starting X and starts X
directly. Either it works or it doesn't. If it doesn't you get some
information. If it does you know X works and the problem lies in how
{GKX}DM starts X.

Thanks for your hints.
Even though I cannot login to myselve as "normal user", that does not mean X
is not running. I only cannot login as user "juk4" (=jullien KDE4). When I
try to do so, the system is away for 1 or two seconds, and comes back with
the login screen.
When I fo to a console, I cannot run xinit because X still is running.

Well, there you are, something important you've not told us before.
Of course you can't run xinit with X running....
Of course you can't log in to KDE (etc) with X already running....

That fully explains the problem you've described so far.
(Don't we wish you'd told us this at the beginning!)

The issue is now

WHY IS X ALREADY RUNNING?

Also
removel of /tmp/.X0-lock does not help, as this does not kill X.
A new suggestion?

I cannot see why removal of a flag that indicates X is running will stop
it running. Have you tried killing the process with 'kill'?
You will, of course, need to be root since X runs as root.

--
Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges. I don't have to
show you any stinkin' badges!