Re: [opensuse] unable to login to KDE under newly installed 11.2
  • From: phanisvara das <phani00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 16:58:12 +0530
On Thursday, June 03, 2010 03:16:31 pm Lubos Lunak wrote:
On Wednesday 02 of June 2010, Julien Michielsen wrote:
Yesterday I installed 11.2 on my machine, and I don't succeed to
login to my useraccount under X. It prompts for the user, and when
I enter the name, and subsequently the password, the system goes
away for 1 or two seconds after hitting enter, and then comes back
with the login screen. When I enter the name again, and thereafter
password, the same happens again. No error- message, just comes
back like if nothing happened. No error with the password: if I
enter a different password, it gives a "wrong password"-message.
On a console (under eg. alt-ctl-F2)I can login without a problem.
But not under KDE.
Can't find a message in /var/log/messages, the only log I can
imagine as a place for error-messages.
Or does a different log give better indications?

to me the same thing happened when, after some upgrades, desktop effects
weren't working anymore. the user account that had effects enabled would
react just like that, i.e., revert to the KDE login after a couple
seconds.

at that time i fixed it by manually editing kwinrc in
~/.kde4/share/config, setting "enabled" to false under the [Compositing]
heading.

--
phani.