Re: [opensuse] unable to login to KDE under newly installed 11.2
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 14:17:20 -0400
Sven Burmeister said the following on 06/02/2010 09:11 AM:
Am Mittwoch, 2. Juni 2010, 14:14:51 schrieb Julien Michielsen:
Yesterday I installed 11.2 on my machine, and I don't succeed to login to
my useraccount under X. It prompts for the user, and when I enter the
name, and subsequently the password, the system goes away for 1 or two
seconds after hitting enter, and then comes back with the login screen.

This could be caused by no space left on your harddisk.

Or by a key file related to {GKX}DM or X or more likely your desktop
manager not existing or being inaccessible. There is so much in that
category its hard to speculate with the limited information you've
given. It certainly sounds like the login part of the login is
happening and its what comes next that is the problem.

There are two things you can try, and report back what you find.
Its not exactly wolf fencing but ...

One is log in at the command line and run xinit.

This gets around the issue of the {GKX}DM starting X and starts X
directly. Either it works or it doesn't. If it doesn't you get some
information. If it does you know X works and the problem lies in how
{GKX}DM starts X.

That leads to the second.
In /etc/inittab there's the entry for runlevel 5
id:5:initdefault:
and that leads to
l5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 5
and
/etc/init.d/rc5.d/S11xdm
that starts X and the appropriate display manager.

You can step by hand through that last file (S11xdm) and make sure all
the files and variables exist and what they contain makes sense.

Its tedious but it isn't difficult.
It will help you understand what is going on and it will let you better
describe your problem to us and give the context by which we can help
you. You may even find out the answer to your problem yourself.

This is how I tracked down a problem I had with KDM when I switched from
Gnome to KDE many years ago.

--
There is no legitimate religion apart from truth.
--John Calvin