Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:34:16 +0200
On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 06:09 +0200, Graham Anderson wrote:
On Tuesday 01 June 2010 13:53:30 Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Really? I've seen demonstrations of that and not been impressed. You
could get, IMNSHO, a bigger performance boost by spending that same
amount of money on a lot more RAM.

This is not really true at all, not for anyone that already has enough RAM to
avoid excessive swapping. You could have 64GB of RAM and your apps and boot
will not be any faster because your still blocked on the bottleneck of your
mechanical drives.

You really need to use an SSD and then try to go back to using mechanical
disks. The difference is very noticeable. From grub boot menu OS selection
to fully loaded KDE4 desktop (with all the previous apps that were running in
the last session) in under 10 seconds.

Could be. I do a diskless openSUSE. So, the boot happens from RAM. I
think so many other factors make the boot take longer. Like setting
network devices with dhcp and mounting remote systems. Granted some of
this is now moved to happen asynchronous to the initial boot login. But
the hard disk seems, to me, to be one of many factors. And, for my use,
not the one that makes the boot take longer.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB