Re: [opensuse] Novell Client for Linux 2.0 sp2 sle11 i586 on openSUSE 11.2
  • From: Ciro Iriarte <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:10:31 -0400
2010/6/1 Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>:
On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 13:32 +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 12:50:23PM +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
had to recognize that there seems to be very few interest in offering
NCL on openSUSE (even though the most apparent thing missing is a proper
repo
building NCL against openSUSE distributions... but for licensing
reasons, this seems not to be welcome on OBS... I can tell you the full
story if
you're interested.. but 'offline').

I can understand it not being available with the base release. But if
you can include Adobe or nvidia drivers, this seems not to be so very
different. We have thousands of users running the NCW on XP. It is so
frustrating to not be able to do the same with a Linux so closely
related to Novell.

The SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11  Service PAck 1 now has Novel Client
for Linux included.

Is there a way to evaluate SLED11? We currently buy/use openSUSE 10.3 as
our platform. We are hoping to move to 11.2 (unresolved KDE4 issues have
slowed that process). Perhaps we should be looking at SLED instead. We
do install the OS very seldom, and want to use the install for a long
time. I think it is mainly the developers (like me...) that prefer to
work on openSUSE as it uses the latest stuff. You know us crazy
developers. The downside of SLED in our product is that we would want to
limit our developers to using the same. Perhaps that is too draconian.
But we strongly believe that developers should be very close to the
users.

The odd thing is that I think the cost of SLED is pretty much the same
as openSUSE. I guess with SLED you can also choose to pay each year for
support and updates, which is where the cost difference compared to
buying openSUSE factors in. But it is not so big a difference. Does that
sound right?

As for openSUSE ... Was there ever a FATE entry for this?
Without involving our product management folks Michael Loeffler or Andreas
Jaeger it wont see any kind of progress.

And even then I am not so sure.

Ciao, Marcus

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

Hmm, who sold you openSUSE?. SLED has a standard support contract of
$120 for a year. Check it at
http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/howtobuy.html. It's also
available for download freely, so you can test it before buying.

Regards,

--
Ciro Iriarte
http://cyruspy.wordpress.com