Re: [opensuse] Problems (minor?) with 11.2 upgrade
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 19:27:16 -0500
On 01/04/2010 11:09 AM, Will Stephenson wrote:
On Monday 04 January 2010 14:16:39 Robert Schweikert wrote:
Oh yeah. wifi doesn't work any more. One of the 11.1 updates broke it,
and I was hoping 11.2 would fix whatever that was. It's still doing the
same thing it was before: knetworkmanager shows me my SSID, I click on
it, it churns for a while, and comes back asking for my passphrase. I
give it, and {repeat ad infinitum}.

Information about tracking NM problems can be found here:

http://userbase.kde.org/NetworkManagement

Right, and you've got direct access to the author of that document and of
knetworkmanager. Pity all those kubuntu users! If you can give me the
details requested in the 'It's all KDE's fault' section of the above URL we
can get you going and solve the problem for future releases.

The NetworkManager log as well as wireless hardware details should be a good
first step; if you are able to connect with another NM client then DBUS dumps
of both working and non-working connections would be extremely helpful.

Will

Will, everything in that section talked about either recompiling knm or
trying other clients. I don't have the courage to try any others (ifup
was about my limit), so I just now gave up and tried connecting to
generate some messages.

I read around the kde page and selected a few log files, but even with
aggressive editing it's nearly 300 lines long. I've sent it directly to
you in a separate email -- hope that's not a problem. It consists of
lines from dmesg, /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log, /var/log messages, and
/var/log/NetworkManager. I started copying from when I disconnected the
cable, and kept lines until the repetition became excessive, or until
eth0 started coming up (in the case of NetworkManager).

John Perry