Re: [opensuse] restoring X setup after doom3 locks up
  • From: Tejas Guruswamy <masterpatricko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 15:17:17 +0000
On 06/01/10 21:12, Per Jessen wrote:
Well, 9 times of out 10 it works fine. I.e. doom3 exits normal, and my
regular X session is back. I'm pretty certain it's a some rare
race-condition somewhere.

I think I'm on 8.593 right now. I had the same problem with previous
drivers too though. Whatever I've got installed now will usually leave
little black areas on my screen when I exit doom3, but I barely notice
that.

/Per

Why not start doom3 in it's own X server so that it doesn't interfere if
it crashes?

Something like

xinit doom3 $* -- :1

Haven't tried it with recent Xorg versions but that was what I used to
do with my problematic games.

You should be able to Ctrl-Alt-F7 back to the desktop if something goes
wrong.

Regards,

Tejas