Re: [opensuse] restoring X setup after doom3 locks up
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 13:27:39 -0600
Per Jessen wrote:

If no joy, then ctrl+alt+f1 and 'rcxdm stop' look for any hung X
processes with 'ps ax | grep X' and kill any remaining. Then rcxdm
start and it will throw you back to the greeter where you can start a
new session. (ATI fglrx driver by chance?)

Yep, but I don't want a new session, that's the main issue. I want my
old session back with all the open windows etc.

The graphics card is an ATI Radeon X1650.

/Per

Umm,

Dunno how to break this to you, but more than likely you are not going
to get your old X session back -- "ever". Why? The fglrx driver is notorious
for not completely unloading, with some hardware (9600 - 9800 cards) nothing
short of a 'power off restart' will unload the remaining driver fragments. My
GUESS is that when doom flips the resolution from your normal res to the
framebuffer res it uses, with pieces of the driver for your native res as well
as the framebuffer loaded. If doom crashes and does NOT go through its process
of closing the framebuffer and restoring your normal res --> your hosed for
that session.

With the 1650, you should be fine starting a new session without having
to do a power-off shutdown. ( I believe X1200+ no longer requires the power-off
shutdown to clear the driver fragments). The only other tidbit I have is to
make sure you are using the fglrx 8.532 driver (from the 8-9 driver package).
It seems to be the best from a performance/stability standpoint. From 8-10
through 9-3 the fglrx driver included support for the 2400+ series cards that
really screwed performance for the 1850 and earlier cards. If you are happy
with your current driver - keep it. If you want to try the 8-9 (8.532) driver,
the package is still available on the ati site under the 'previous drivers'
page.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC