Re: [opensuse] restoring X setup after doom3 locks up
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:22:33 -0600
Per Jessen wrote:
On my 10.3 system, doom3 will occasionally lock up, meaning I have to
kill it to get my system back. I switch to a virtual console and kill
the doom3 process, but when I return to KDE, my previous resolution
etc. hast not been not restored and I have no mouse. I presume this is
due to doom3 being killed and therefore not exiting and properly.
How can I manually restore whatever the X settings were before I started
doom3?

thanks
Per

Per,

Just ctrl+alt+f1 and 'ps axf' kill what you can identify as doom
related and then ctrl+alt+f7. If no joy, then ctrl+alt+f1 and 'rcxdm stop' look
for any hung X processes with 'ps ax | grep X' and kill any remaining. Then
rcxdm start and it will throw you back to the greeter where you can start a new
session. (ATI fglrx driver by chance?)

Which graphics kernel module are you using. Some behave better than
others....

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC