Re: [opensuse] opensuse 11.2 USB HDD does not mount
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:15:17 -0600
Arun Khan wrote:
The problem I am facing with USB storage devices, under 11.2 (amd64) is
a bit different from that being discussed under the thread:

<[opensuse] USB times out cant see what's on drives>

Whenever I attach a portable USB 2.5" HDD (with ext3 FS) the LED light
on the unit stays lit infinitely with the following showing up in
/var/log/messages
<snip>
Also, the USB 2.5" HDD unit works fine i.e. is auto mounted in OS11.1
and Ubuntu 9.04.

Anyone else experiencing this kind of problem? Any solutions?

TIA

Arun,

I have experienced all kinds of weirdness with hal/dbus/policykit and
usb drives. I made headway by granting myself permissions in the kde control
center policy kit editor for removable drives and just about everything else I
could think of. (login as root, then grant yourself permission to grant and
change permissions, then you can manage everything from your account).

However, before digging into policykit editing, perform a test with
"Dolphin" (of all things). Believe it or not, I have had good luck with dolphin
mounting usb drives (rw) for all users and once mounted by dolphin, the drives
are accessible via /media/disk, /media/disk-1, etc.. in all other apps.

Another trick is to plug in the usb drive and then do "cat
/proc/partitions" to get a list of partitions available. Create a temporary
mount point under "mnt" NOT under "media", something like "/mnt/usb" (as root
or with sudo). Then just manually mount the usb partition under that mount
point with the command (as root or with sudo) "mount /dev/sdb(1,2,3,etc..)" OR
"mount /dev/sdb/<usbpart name>"

For example, if I plug in a spare hard drive for my laptop and for some
reason it doesn't mount automagically, then I just:

12:00 alchemy:~> cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

8 0 312571224 sda
8 1 1536000 sda1
8 2 83886080 sda2
8 3 1 sda3
8 5 2104483 sda5
8 6 20972826 sda6
8 7 204065631 sda7
8 16 312571224 sdb
8 17 104422 sdb1
8 18 1052257 sdb2
8 19 25607610 sdb3
8 20 285804382 sdb4

I know the root partitions is /dev/sdb3, the boot partitions is
/dev/sdb1 and the home partitions is /dev/sdb4 (based on their sizes) (sdb2 is
swap for completeness). So if I want to manually mount them under /mnt/usb, as
root, I simply:

mkdir -p /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb/boot
mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt/usb/home

Then all your files will be accessible under /mnt/usb with the proper
filesystem hierarchy for /, /boot, and /home. Of course you can create the
mount point anywhere you like, but for consistence I generally create all
foreign mount point under /mnt and then if I need them anywhere else, I simply
create a soft link of the mount-point where needed. Like: "ln -s /mnt/usb
~/drive1".

To unmount the drives, either shut down or, as root, issue the 'umount'
(no 'n') command in REVERSE order that you mounted the drives (may not be
necessary but IS the PROPER way) like:

umount /mnt/usb/home
umount /mnt/usb/boot
umount /mnt/usb

..and your done. You can always check to see what is mounted where by issuing
the 'mount' command without any arguments, or for a better formatted result
just use the 'df -h' command (the diskfree command). Less typing and better
output ;-)

Others can add additional approaches to the "my usb drive didn't mount"
problem :-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC