Re: [opensuse] USB support in VirtualBox OSE
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 07:56:55 +1030
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 07:12:32 Oszkó Albert wrote:
Hi all,

I can't get to set USB in VirtualBox OSE? Is it possible at all? In the
Settings USB is greyed out. I think I read once that USB support is one
of the differences between the the OSE and PUEL versions of VBox. But I
could not get the latter to work at all. (oS 11.2 KDE 4.3.4)

Thanks for any hint,

Oszkoa

You are correct - USB is disabled in the OSE edition of VirtualBox. There was
another thread recently about installing the Sun version of VB and getting USB
working - you might look back a week or so in the archives (or search for
VirtualBox).

To summarise though, you have 3 options that should work if installing from
the oS repositories hasn't:

1. Download the generic (distribution-agnostic) installer from Sun's
VirtualBox site and run the install script as root (but you need to have the
kernel source for your currently running kernel installed and prepared so that
it can compile the kernel modules for your running kernel). The disadvantage
to this (but it applies to the next 2 options too if you build your own custom
kernels) is that if you do a kernel update you need to recompile the VB kernel
modules (easily accomplished running "/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" as root).

2. Download the oS RPM from Sun's site and install it manually via rpm. If
you're running a custom kernel you may then have to run (as root)
"/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" to rebuild the kernel modules against your running
kernel.

3. Add the Sun repository to Yast with a higher (i.e. lower numerically)
priority than the oS repositories and install it via Yast (I think the same
comments above will apply if you're running a custom kernel).

YMMV.

For my systems, I did option 1 and it works fine (with full USB support). Bear
in mind that you have to tell VB which USB devices you want it to pass through
to the guest OS. When VB has captured the USB device the host OS no longer has
access to that device until released by VB.

HTH.
Rodney.