Re: [opensuse] USB times out cant see what's on drives
  • From: Thomas Taylor <linxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:31:56 -0800
On Monday 04 January 2010 12:06:44 am David C. Rankin wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Sunday, 2010-01-03 at 10:51 -0600, Richard Atcheson wrote:
I'm using Opensuse 11.2 with the latest updates. Linux
2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop x86_64 kernel on a Dell Inspiron 1545 and
have all the KDE4 eye candy turned off.

When I insert a USB drive, either flash or hard drive, I get a
window eventually asking me to choose what to do. I open the
drive in file manager, click on a folder and 6 seconds after the
contents are displayed the folder goes blank. Neither Dolphin
nor Konqueror can see the drives without replugging. Same
failure every time. My Computer indicates the drives are
attached as /dev/sdc1 but cannot view contents.

Open a terminal and type "tailf /var/log/messages"; then attach the
disk, and when it fails, post the messages that were written to the
terminal.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Richard,

With 11.2 x86_64, I experienced exactly the problems you describe. I
would
attach via usb either a second hard disk or a usb memory stick and it
would work fine for a little while. Then without warning or reason, the
device would simply disconnect without warning and crash. The curious part
of the problem is that whatever was happening was causing corruption in
the usb device when the disconnect occurred that would then have to be
fixed with fsck. I was also suffering the same corruptions when the 11.2
box would connect via ssh or sftp to remote filesystems. With my 11.2 i586
box, I experienced none of this from the 32-bit machine.

I never got any answers, so with this issue, I still don't know what was
happening. Now, I have dropped back to 11.0 for now until I can find
another laptop to try it on. Let me know if you make any breakthroughs,
Thanks

It is working well on a Dell studio 1745 using the same kernel. I frequently
use usb device, either flash or disk, to transfer files to other computers and
have not had anything similar happen.

Have you tried turning Dbus off and mounting manually? (service dbus stop)

--
Thanks, Tom Taylor
linxt@xxxxxxxxxxx