Re: [opensuse] How to type CurrentDate & CurrentTime with KDE's InputActions?
  • From: Ben DJ <bendj095124367913213465@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 09:36:46 -0800
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd like to assign a single, global keystroke/shortcut to print the
current date & time.

 You can't do that there,

Well, shucks! :-( I find the "date/time-stamp with a keystroke"
something I miss a lot (easy @ OSX's QuicKeys ...).

unless you're any good with C++ and would be willing
to experiment with decomposing any given text to the matching keypresses.
Baring that, you could try binding a shortcut to a command that would use
'xclip' to set clipboard to the desired text and then paste that manually.

Both options, I suppose. Thanks for the idea -- I'll play around a
bit. I _am_ willing to experiment; we'll just see how successfully.

I don't know if it can't be done, or if I've got syntax wrong.  If the
"how to" is in the docs, I'm missing/misunderstanding them :-(

 I'm afraid those are waiting for somebody who'd find the time to write them.

Heh, not the first time, eh? ;-) If I ever figure out how to do this,
I'll try to post something to the wiki!

How are those invoked/accessed/used in a Input Actions -> Global
Shortcut -> 'Send Keyboard Input' macro?

I would put it into a shell script and add the script to the menu, then
assign it a hot-key combination.

Hm. I'd tried that before, and got nowhere. Must have screwed it up
... With your (re)suggestion, I'll try again.

Thanks for the reply,

BenDJ