Re: [opensuse] USB times out cant see what's on drives
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 02:06:44 -0600
Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Sunday, 2010-01-03 at 10:51 -0600, Richard Atcheson wrote:

I'm using Opensuse 11.2 with the latest updates. Linux
2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop x86_64 kernel on a Dell Inspiron 1545 and
have all the KDE4 eye candy turned off.

When I insert a USB drive, either flash or hard drive, I get a
window eventually asking me to choose what to do. I open the
drive in file manager, click on a folder and 6 seconds after the
contents are displayed the folder goes blank. Neither Dolphin
nor Konqueror can see the drives without replugging. Same
failure every time. My Computer indicates the drives are
attached as /dev/sdc1 but cannot view contents.

Open a terminal and type "tailf /var/log/messages"; then attach the
disk, and when it fails, post the messages that were written to the
terminal.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Richard,

With 11.2 x86_64, I experienced exactly the problems you describe. I
would attach via usb either a second hard disk or a usb memory stick and it
would work fine for a little while. Then without warning or reason, the device
would simply disconnect without warning and crash. The curious part of the
problem is that whatever was happening was causing corruption in the usb device
when the disconnect occurred that would then have to be fixed with fsck. I was
also suffering the same corruptions when the 11.2 box would connect via ssh or
sftp to remote filesystems. With my 11.2 i586 box, I experienced none of this
from the 32-bit machine.

I never got any answers, so with this issue, I still don't know what
was happening. Now, I have dropped back to 11.0 for now until I can find
another laptop to try it on. Let me know if you make any breakthroughs, Thanks

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC