Re: [opensuse] knetworkmanger and DNS
  • From: Teruel de Campo MD <chusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 10:26:48 -0700
On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 09:06 -0500, Nkoli wrote:
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Teruel de Campo MD
<chusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Q: is there any way to add a dns server to the knetworkmanger (besides
the one from the isp pulled from the router)?

Thxs.

-=terry=-

As far as I know, the answer is no. You can input the information into
the network settings module in yast, but I believe you have to disable
knetwork manager for the information to be used. Wicd does let you
input that information if you want to give it a shot instead of
network manager.

Nkoli

The network manager has a way to add the DNS servers so finally I can
install opensuse 11.2 in all my machines including the laptop. When you
are using the laptop in many places the networkmanager is great.

1. R click on the knetworkmanager on the system tray
2. Manage Connection/Wireless/Edit/IP Adress
3. Configure dropdown menu and select <Automatic (DHCP) adress only>
4. Add the DNS server
5. OK

and now after reboot everything works perfect.

This is only need it if you happens to have one of the routers that
produces the problem (Bug 549447 - unscd does not share resolver options
across sub-processes, causing DNS hangs when single-request is needed)

This bugs manifest either:
1. you can ping but you can not wget or use firefox
2. takes a long time to load a sites on firefox

-=terry=-