Re: [opensuse] Installing and using an NFS client
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:01:19 +0200
At 10:49:36 on Sunday Sunday 03 January 2010, ianseeks
<ianseeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 02 Jan 2010 17:37:41 Stan Goodman wrote:
I want to provide filesharing between two oS machines. I have
followed the directions of the page <http://en.opensuse.org/NFS> to
install the server on a desktop machine (which is oS v11.1 for the
time being, and wish to made a client on a laptop (oS v11.2). The
directions on the page are simple enough; when I get a client up I
will find out if they worked (the page, which is headed "NFS", never
touches the subject of clients).

Neither do other such pages that I have found. In v 11.1, YaST admits
to having a package called yast2-nfs-client, but I don't see this in
v11.2 YaST. If I did, I wouldn't know how to load it.

It also has a package nfs-client-debuginfo, described as "Debug
information for package nfs-clent. But there is no package nfs-info
in the list.

Catch-22?

If you come from a MS environment, you'll find Yast does not provide
the most intuitive way of setting up a share, if you know what you are
doing its okay but you could spend a lot of time getting a share
working if you don't. It would be nice to have a menu item in dolphin
that says "Create/Map share" or something with useful GUIs to assist
along the way.

I hope i get this bit correct, i hope someone will correct it if i
don't.

Launch Yast on the target machine and select the NFS server option.
This option always tells you to start the NFS server (it doesn't seem
to know if its already running) then select a folder to share, be aware
that the default options share the folder as "read only" so if you want
to write to it, change the "ro" to "rw". Also make sure the user
permissions on the folder selected will be usable to the client user
permissions otherwise you'll get errors trying to copy.
On the client machine, make sure you have an empty folder to use as a
mount point for the share. Launch Yast and select the NFS client
option. On the "NFS Shares" page, click <Add> button and then <Choose>
button - this will search the network for NFS servers on the network,
once you've chosen your server you can then press <select> to see the

This is a feature that I would have overlooked. Thanks for pointing it
out.

available shares. Then select your mount point, press <ok> and you
should be "shared".

I won't have to do that, as the target directory and its mount point are
already defined in fstab.

Have fun.

regards

Ian