[opensuse] Recovered 10.3 system with 11.2 recovery disk, now get -> modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 02:21:33 -0600
Listmates,

I recovered my 10.3 system with the 11.2 install dvd. I booted the
installed system from the 11.2 disk and then re-installed grub. Now I get the
following modprobe error whenever I try to copy files from sdb -> sda:

Jan 3 02:06:53 nirvana modprobe: FATAL: Could not load
/lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1-default/modules.dep: No such file or directory
Jan 3 02:06:53 nirvana modprobe: FATAL: Could not load
/lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1-default/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Somewhere when I installed grub, some file got imprinted with the 11.2
kernel information 'even though' I had booted my 10.3 install from the 11.2 dvd
'before' I reinstalled grub. I have grepped through /etc and /boot looking for
the 2.6.31 kernel information, but I'm drawing blanks. What file did this
information get stored in?? How do I fix it? Reinstall grub again?? Something
else?

Before I go trying to fix this one, I would like to understand what it
is I'm fixing before I go reinstalling bootloaders, etc... I'm almost positive
it is something to do with the current bootloader install on /sdb (the good
disk of the raid set). Currently, I have what may/may-not be the old first disk
of the raid set (sda) mounted under /mnt/sda (the complete filesystem / with
/home mounted as /mnt/sda/home and boot mounted as /mnt/sda/boot). I would like
to try a few block copies to the drive and see if it throws any errors.
However, I can't copy anything to it due to the weird 11.2 kernel module
dependency that has appeared on my 10.3 system.

What say the gurus on this situation? Weird yes, but what is the likely
culprit and how to fix it??

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC