Re: [opensuse] dd - rsync question
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 21:04:17 -0500
On Saturday 02 January 2010 01:59:55 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 02/01/10 22:45, Brian K. White wrote:
Bob S wrote:
Hello SuSE people,

I did a dd backup on my 11.2. Question is can I update it with rsync,
or more important could I restore certain files/directories using rsync?

Bob S

_what_ did you backup with dd? a filesystem? or a partition or whole
drive that might have more than one filesystem?

[rest pruned]

I don't think that the majority of people have the ability to place
themselves in the position of being the recipients of such requests and
therefore do not provide the obvious details necessary for respondents
to provide the answer(s). Unfortunate, but true.

What? is your friggin problem Basil ?? Your post is nothing but clutter and
chaff and contributes nothing to the query.

If one has been in the position of answering questions/queries from
others then one very quickly learns to provide some basic information at
least when asking for assistance.

Pretty basic I thought. Simple question. Can a dd backup be modified or used
with rsync. Brian seemed to understand it very well and provided a very
thorough and expliucit answer. Sorry that you couldn't.

Otherwise there is such a waste of time and effort - as your response
shows.

The only waste of time was your reply to the post with nothing to contribute.

Nobody here, nor elsewhere, is a mind reader.......

Ah well, such is life.....

Yep, takes all kinds I guess.

And as a consequence, I do not get (too) upset with developers et alia
when they have to fend similar questions.

Too bad the devs you know aren't as logical, understanding or patient as Brian
is.

Bob S