[opensuse] Verizon UMW190 wireless broadband modem
  • From: Bob Ewart <bob-ewart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 14:51:59 -0500
I just got a Verizon UMW190 USB modem for my ASUS 1000HE netbook. It's
too new to have any formal linux support. When I try to use the Network
Manager, it insists that it is a GSM modem, which would be outside the
US. Verizon is on CDMA.

Google came to the rescue. I found two sites that helped:
http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/52729

They both said to connect with pppd and gave the scripts to do so.

----- 1xevdo
ttyACM0
115200
debug
noauth
defaultroute
usepeerdns
connect-delay 10000
user xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx
show-password
crtscts
lock
lcp-echo-failure 4
lcp-echo-interval 65535
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -t3 -f /etc/ppp/peers/1xevdo_chat'

----- 1xevdo_chat
TIMEOUT 20
ECHO OFF
ABORT '\nNO CARRIER\r'
ABORT '\nERROR\r'
ABORT '\nNO DIALTONE\r'
ABORT '\nBUSY\r'
ABORT '\nNO ANSWER\r'
'' \rAT
TIMEOUT 60
OK ATH0
OK ATQ0
OK ATV1
OK ATM1
OK ATS0=0
OK ATS7=60
OK ATDT#777
CONNECT \d\c

They both go to /etc/ppp/peers. Then 'pppd call 1xevdo' will connect to
the modem, dial Verizon and set up the network.

This works in Ubuntu 9.10, but NOT in openSUSE 11.2.

In Ubuntu pppd does everything and successfully disconnects from the
terminal. Then I can browse the internet.

OpenSUSE goes through everything except for setting up the network. I
see a message in /var/log/messages that 1xevdo_chat has completed. It
doesn't disconnect and I can't browse or ping. I even tried it with the
firewall shut off.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

--
Bob