Re: [opensuse] Share /boot partition ??
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 03:27:31 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2010-01-01 at 20:45 -0500, ka1ifq wrote:

"On 08:27:40 pm "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said"
On Friday, 2010-01-01 at 20:12 -0500, ka1ifq wrote:
A friend it going to install 2 or 3 flavors of Linux with XP on one
drive. He is under the impression that the linux installations can share
the same /boot partition and I haven't found any data either way. Does
anybody know if this will work? Has anybody tried this?

Manually, yes. Expect it to break after every update, though.

Ok, so if he does one install on top of the other grub will put everything for
each flavor into the one /boot partition an be able to boot each one?

Grub, no. /You/, perhaps.

And no, I haven't tried, nor do I intend to try. I don't need extra complications of that kind. I appreciate my health, you see >:-)

Ok, part 2. He had installed FC12, then installed XP afterward which killed
the boot for FC12, then installed openSUSE 11.2, he got grub to give him the
menu for XP and openSUSE, but it did not pickup the FC12 install. Do you think
there is a way to recover the boot for FC12? He is supposedly installing
another flavor right now (Ubuntu). And I thought I did crazy stuff.

For him, no.

If he were able to do that sucesfully, he would know better than allowing one to install on top of the other without taking measures to be able to mix both boots later.

As I said, you can not install several linuxes on a single boot automatically. You have to do that manually, and know how to do that without asking for help.

If you don't know how to do it, forget it. Do use separate partitions.

Not kidding...

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.