Re: [opensuse] Share /boot partition ??
  • From: ka1ifq <ka1ifq@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 21:10:46 -0500
"On 08:59:31 pm Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said"
On 2010/01/01 20:12 (GMT-0500) ka1ifq composed:
A friend it going to install 2 or 3 flavors of Linux with XP on one
drive. He is under the impression that the linux installations can share
the same /boot partition and I haven't found any data either way. Does
anybody know if this will work? Has anybody tried this?

Doable, yes. Recommended, only for those experienced in manual fixup of
Grub and its config files who can remember to do so after every update
affecting boot files. Better to put only one distro on /boot, and the rest
on their own respective / partitions. As mentioned elsewhere, updates will
not produce pleasant results. But, manual intervention can get the
determined around those problems.
--
Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

I agree. I myself would have a /boot for each flavor or just skip that and
use just / (root) for each and maybe share a /home for the user and maybe a
shared storage area. I may try this out on a spare system. I am waiting to
hear back from him.

Thanks, Mike.

--
2.6.27.39-0.2-default GNU/Linux