[opensuse] TV cards [Was: What I had to do to get wireless communication]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:53:42 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2010-01-01 at 18:19 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:
At 14:32:17 on Friday Friday 01 January 2010, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

I have no direct experience with wireless cards, but I suffered
something similar with a haupage tv card that also requires a firmware
upload every time. Yes, the driver was there, but not the firmware,
which was on a different rpm. I had to hunt for it outside of the
distro, something was propietary or some similar crap. Details are
vague in my memory, but it should be in the list archive, if you are
interested. In the end, I had to remove the card, and buy a real tv
set, 2nd hand, that is hanging from the wall behind my computer,
connected to a terrestrial digital tv tunner with usb hard disk running
linux 2.4.something.

Scary conclusion: "When in doubt, run it through Windows." =;-/8

`:-)

Which in my case I couldn't do, because the windows I have is Win-Me, and the least the software bundled with the card was XP.

I have been thinking of getting a Hauppauge card. Not to highjack the
thread, I will take the liberty of asking you a couple of questions
privately.

I think you can ask here, I changed the subject appropieately. Or start a new thread if you like; as long as it is Linux related, other people can chirp in.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.