Re: [opensuse] What I had to do to get wireless communication
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 18:19:19 +0200
At 14:32:17 on Friday Friday 01 January 2010, "Carlos E. R."
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday, 2010-01-01 at 14:16 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:
At 13:45:51 on Friday Friday 01 January 2010, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:
If someone can explain what made the difference, I will stop
believing in poltergeists.

Did you power off? I'll made a wild guess. Or two. :-)

It was powered off any number of times.

Windows loaded a firmware to the card. When you reboot without
powering off, it is still there and linux works.

That has since occurred to me, in spite of which it may be the right
answer. I know that some (all?) similar cards require firmware
installation, but as far as I could learn or guess, the fact that the
driver is in the kernel by default implied that the rpm would deal
with that too, and I would not have to do so explicitly. If Windows
does install the firmware along with the driver, it's fair to ask why
Linux doesn't as well. I still do not see a place in oS at which I
should or could have installed firmware by myself.

I have no direct experience with wireless cards, but I suffered
something similar with a haupage tv card that also requires a firmware
upload every time. Yes, the driver was there, but not the firmware,
which was on a different rpm. I had to hunt for it outside of the
distro, something was propietary or some similar crap. Details are
vague in my memory, but it should be in the list archive, if you are
interested. In the end, I had to remove the card, and buy a real tv
set, 2nd hand, that is hanging from the wall behind my computer,
connected to a terrestrial digital tv tunner with usb hard disk running
linux 2.4.something.

Scary conclusion: "When in doubt, run it through Windows." =;-/8

I have been thinking of getting a Hauppauge card. Not to highjack the
thread, I will take the liberty of asking you a couple of questions
privately.

Or, windows changed a setting or something in the card that makes it
works. It works in linux then because the setting holds.

Lets see whats happens after a hard reset or power-off >:-)

The Windows experiment took place in Haifa; I live 20km away. Setting
the router up at home meant it had already survived a power down/up
cycle. It has already lived through another all last night.

Ah, then, that is good :-)

Cheers,

Hoping that all here have had their Sylvester "cheers", and recovered
from the resulting hangover, A Healthy, Happy, Prosperous, and
Peaceful 2010 to all.

Thanks, same to you :-)

--
Cheers,