Re: [opensuse] What I had to do to get wireless communication
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 12:45:51 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2009-12-31 at 19:35 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:

I have a new router (D-Link DIR-615) and a new wireless card (Intel
5300agn) in my notebook machine, and was unable to establish
communication between them. After several days of puzzlement, I began to
entertain the notion that one or both were defective.

In an effort to establish which, I connected an external HD in place of
that of the notebook machine, installed WinXP on it, and installed the
wireless card's driver on it; the card worked properly, so it was no
longer suspect.

I thought I would them have to devise a troubleshooting scheme for the
router, but when I tried to use the wireless card to go online with my
own router, it worked perfectly. I had made no changes whatever in any
configuration.

You mean it now works in Linux?

If someone can explain what made the difference, I will stop believing in
poltergeists.

Did you power off? I'll made a wild guess. Or two. :-)

Windows loaded a firmware to the card. When you reboot without powering off, it is still there and linux works.

Or, windows changed a setting or something in the card that makes it works. It works in linux then because the setting holds.

Lets see whats happens after a hard reset or power-off >:-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.