Re: [opensuse] ntp and wireless
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 03:49:38 -0500
On Wednesday 28 October 2009 01:52:21 pm James Knott wrote:
David C. Rankin wrote:
On Wednesday 28 October 2009 10:10:34 am Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
I have a laptop that uses wireless controlled by Network Manager. (11.2
RC1 - and it seems to be working again!)

If I want to keep time in sync with ntp, it seems that the network must
be up when booting. Which is not the case with Network Manager. How does
one get ntp working when using Network Manager. I suspect there are
other network services that do not function. But I am interested
specifically in ntp.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

There are 2 problem with the current SuSE wireless setup. (1) starting
ntp before the wireless link is up, and (2) shutting down the wireless
link before the unmount of smbfs. As you point out, since ntp is started
(and fails) before your wireless link is activated by network manager,
ntp is dead for most laptop configurations. The workaround in to restart
ntp after your wireless link comes up with 'rcntp restart' (as root or
sudo).

The smbfs unmount issue causes shutdown and reboots to hang if you have
smb shares mounted due to the wireless connection being shut down before
the shares are unmounted leaving no way to unmount the smb shares -- and
prompting a 180 or 300 second timeout period before your box will shut
down. (I haven't timed it exactly, but I know it is long...)

I think both are probably the result of network manager (1) starting the
wireless link later (when kde is started), and (2) shutting down the
wireless link earlier (I don't know when this occurs exactly) in the
current setup where wireless is handled by network manager.

Two work-arounds. (1) Use traditional ifup for networking instead of
network manager (good choice unless you use a lot of different APs), or
(2) remember to restart ntp and unmount smb drives before you
logout/shutdown.

That's what I have found by trial and error.

I just checked my notebook and see that ntpd is running with a WiFi
connection. The clock appears to be in sync with my desktop computer,
which is also running ntpd. Using "ps aux|grep ntp" shows similar
results on both computers. Unless I'm mistaken, ntpd is running
properly on my notebook. I'm running OpenSUSE 11.0 on both computers
and NetworkManager on my notebook.

James,

Mine too has started acting OK over the past few months:

[00:08 alchemy:/srv/www/download] # rcntp status
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
LOCAL(0) .LOCL. 10 l 5 64 377 0.000 0.000 0.001
*ntp3.tamu.edu 206.77.62.136 2 u 61 1024 377 28.940 -4.798 0.391

Checking for network time protocol daemon (NTPD): running

I'm now sure when or where. On the other had, the CIFS unmount hang occurs
every time I lease a drive mounted...:(

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC