Re: [opensuse] Tweaking of e16 desktop nearing completion - way cool desktop
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 03:45:37 -0500
On Thursday 29 October 2009 05:43:37 am Pit Suetterlin wrote:
Hi David,

First, thanks for ponting me at e16. In fact, this is the second time now
that I switch my window manager(*): In 94 I switched from tvtwm to fvwm,
and now finally I found something that is interesting enough to leave fvwm
(no, neither GNOME or KDE are my style).

I know what you mean. I just stumbled across it recently and I love it. No
training wheels!

I think I must have had a look at it earlier, as enlightenment is around
almost as long as fvwm, but probably the first versions were far behind it
so I forgot about it....

I have 2 desktops with my desktop "areas" laid out in a 4x1 grid. So the
result of having two desktops makes 8 desktop areas (that you would
normally just call desktops). The config is (desktop 1 on top, dt2 on the
bottom):

A question to this: What do you use two desktops for? In particular,
what's the advantage over having one desktop separated in 4x2 areas?

Well -- I don't know. The setup came with 2 cubes. I am more of a linear
thinker. The link around the compiz cube or cylinder works fine, so I just
flattened the original 2 cubes into 4-"area strips" and put one on top of the
other. Now my desktop flow is linear left to right. As one area gets too
cluttered or if I want to drop the two sessions of kate to another area, I
can, very easily. So no deep mystery here, I just kinda-like-it :P

As I see a lot of epplets(?) in your upper right corner: Do you know
gkrellm?

Yes, and I like gkrellm a lot. But I figured that if I was going to get to
know the desktop, I might as well make use of the epplets to see what they
were all about before pulling out the 3rd party tools. I hate repeating
myself, but both e16 and e17 are way cool desktops!

Cheers,

Pit

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.