Re: [opensuse] Japanese input
  • From: Satoru Matsumoto <helios_reds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:48:45 +0900
Hi Thomas,

Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
Good morning from Japan

Good morning. :-)

I just bought me on e-bay a second-hand HP notebook to use as an
experimental
machine in my zillionth time to "get friendly with Linux".
(all previous attempts have failed ...)

I did download OpenSUSE 11, but this is the "English version".
Yet, I MUST have Japanese language capability.
That means, I must be able to display, read and write/edit Japanese texts.

I am sure this question has been answered already somewhere, but I don't
know where
and in my attempts at installing OpenSUSE 10.3 and later 11 on my (very) old
desktops I could not figure out, how that is done.

If there are some instructions somewhere even a non-computer freak like
myself
can follow, I would appreciate being directed there.

Follow the steps below:

1) Launch YaST.

2) Software -> Software Management

3) Select 'Languages' in 'Filter (left above)' pulldown menu

4) Check 'ja - Japanese' in left column and Japanese related packages in
right column

IIRC, if you just need to input Japanese, you have to install at least
scim, anthy and scim-anthy, however, installing some additional Japanese
related packages such as fonts would be helpful for handling Japanese
language.

5) After installation of those packages, reboot the system and login again.

If the keyboard layout of your laptop is jp106, you will be able to
launch scim-anthy by pressing Zenkaku_Hankaku(半/全) key. If the
keyboard layout is US-ASCII, press Shift-Space or Control-Space instead.

I think and hope this will solve your problem, but I'm not sure whether
you need some more procedure to enable inputting Japanese or not.

So, please tell me if this won't work well. In that case, additional
informations about your system, such as desktop environment you use,
would be helpful in solveing the problem.

And, if you can read/write Japanese, I'd recommend you to subscribe
opensuse-ja mailinglist where Japanese related issues are discussed.

I wish your attempt to "get friendly with Linux" will succeed this time
and you can have a lot of fun. ;-)

Best,

--
_/_/ Satoru Matsumoto - openSUSE Member - Japan _/_/
_/_/ Marketing/Weekly News/openFATE Screening Team _/_/