RE: [opensuse] How do I prevent an interface getting an IPv6-address on boot-up?
  • From: Philip Dowie <philip.dowie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:53:46 +1300

Part of the magic of IPv6 is it seems to try to do away with all the
magical broadcast-using-0.0.0.0 stuff (think DHCP).
You get a ULA one wot starts fe80, and use that locally. Then, you
can get a global address too. IPv6 was built with multiple addresses
per interface in mind. So, I'd say part of using IPv6 is having that
funky address hanging around.

It's easily removed though. It might not upset my using the device for
PPP, but not having it just seems "cleaner".

Hmm.. With PPP, the two peers agree on their interface IDs (I guess kinda
like a MAC address), and then derive their ULAs based on that..
Then, if stuff like DHCP-PD is in use over the link, the ULA is used for that..

Probably safer to leave it there and to filter it if it is a security concern..