RE: [opensuse] How do I prevent an interface getting an IPv6-address on boot-up?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:49:17 +0100
Philip Dowie wrote:

but I still
get an IPv6 address assigned. I don't know if this causes a
problem for pppoe, but there must be a way of getting rid of it?

Yast Control Centre -> Network Devices -> Network Settings -> Global
Options, uncheck "Enable IPv6", reboot.

Of course this assumes that you don't want to use IPv6 at all.

Well, I _do_ want to use IPv6. :-(

Part of the magic of IPv6 is it seems to try to do away with all the
magical broadcast-using-0.0.0.0 stuff (think DHCP).
You get a ULA one wot starts fe80, and use that locally. Then, you
can get a global address too. IPv6 was built with multiple addresses
per interface in mind. So, I'd say part of using IPv6 is having that
funky address hanging around.

It's easily removed though. It might not upset my using the device for
PPP, but not having it just seems "cleaner".

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.6°C)