Re: [opensuse] Yast2 partitioner new features
  • From: Sinisa <sinisa@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:25:10 +0100
On 10/27/09 11:09, Per Jessen wrote:
Sinisa wrote:

Hello everyone,

is this the right place to suggest two little features for Yast2
partitioner:

1. an option to clone partition layout from one disk to other: I often
make little servers with 4, 6 or even 10 disks and Linux RAID, so I
need to repeat all the steps for all of the disks (of course, I do not
use the a whole disk for one md partition, but at least for two, plus
swap) and that consumes a lot of time and is error-prone...
Until it is implemented, just swap out into a shell, and copy the mbr
from disk to disk with dd.

/Per

Actually, better way would be "sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk /dev/sdb", it calls ioctl to re-read partition tables when done, but there is a little problem: there is no option (in 11.1) to commit changes to disk during patitioning, so I first run "fdisk" on first disk, then "sfdisk ..." for all the others, and then "Rescan disks" from partitioner.

And I am always looking for a way to make it easier for "average Joe" :)

SiniĊĦa