Re: [opensuse] How do I prevent an interface getting an IPv6-address on boot-up?
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:10:22 +1030
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:02:14 Per Jessen wrote:
For PPPOE I need an ethernet interface that comes up on boot, but has no
IP-address - configuring this manually is no problem, but what
would I put in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-ethX to get it started on
boot-up?

For now, I've got the following:

STARTMODE='auto'
BOOTPROTO=''
IPADDR=

This makes the interface come up without an IPv4 address, but I still
get an IPv6 address assigned. I don't know if this causes a problem
for pppoe, but there must be a way of getting rid of it?

/Per

Yast Control Centre -> Network Devices -> Network Settings -> Global Options,
uncheck "Enable IPv6", reboot.

Of course this assumes that you don't want to use IPv6 at all.

On a per-interface basis, go to Overview, Select the desired interface and
click the "Edit" button. Go to Address tab and (I'm assuming that you're using
DHCP) select Dynamic Address, DHCP, DCHP version 4 only.

HTH.