Re: [opensuse] How to set up LIRC?
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:22:40 -0400
On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 20:48 -0700, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
Well I am lost, so need a few pointers to get me started... I am running
SuSE11.1 and need to get the lirc daemon up an running. Searching around
on the internet I get quite a bit of difference information that relates
to various other distro's or versions and nothing I can find seem to
apply to SuSE. I have use YaST to install all the pertinent packages for
LIRC, installed the config files for /etc/lircd.conf and .lircrc in my
home directory as I was instructed to do. Most of the documentation I
have read seem to imply there should be a device - /dev/lirc but I do
not find such. Trying to start the lircd service gives me an error
saying as much...

So what do I have to do to get the lircd service up an running under
SuSE11.1? Much appreciate any and all help offered..

You'll need the appropriate lircd.conf and lircrc files for the
device, as well as the appropriate driver module loaded, so start with
the device and look for what driver module it uses. I had LIRC up and
running under the PAE kernel, but I've switched to the default kernel
and will need to redo some of the steps to get mine up and running
again, I'd be glad to help if I can, on the proviso that it stays on the
mailing list, so there's actually a SuSE specific LIRC thread that can
be googled for later.