Re: [opensuse] wifi for a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop
  • From: Ruben Safir <ruben@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:18:07 -0400
Sorry - I forgot to mention that this is an OpenSuse 11.0 install

Ruben

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 04:02:30PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
Hello

I'm having trouble with a Dell Laptop Inspiron 6000. The WIFI seems to
not work. Fist, when I did the installation it identified the wifi as
eth0 and not ath0, which is different than my other installations.

iwconfig identifies the device as follows

ath0 radio off ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power=off Sensitivity=8/0
Retry limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

It shows up in yast as

Name │IP Address
││
││PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection│DHCP
││
││BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX │DHCP
││

but iwlist fails

stat46:~ # iwlist ath0 scanning
ath0 No scan results

There is wifi available (infact I'm posting from the wifi on my EEEPC)

I spin around the net is not coming u with any solutions. Anyone have a
clue as to what can be wrong? Maybe the wifi is shot?

iwconfig ath0 essid any rate auto channel auto
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
SET failed on device ath0 ; Invalid argument.

Ruben
© Copyright for the Digital Millennium