Re: [opensuse] Partition filled up
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 07:41:54 -0400
Bob S said the following on 10/25/2009 10:28 PM:

I ran the commands you each kindly provided me. The one Ken provided just
returned an "8036". I ran the command Mike provided and got hundreds of lines
which I don't understand. Boy, it took forever. Went and ate my supper while
waiting.

Is that first part of the line the size in bytes?

That's what the manual page says. I'm inclined to believe it in the
absence of other evidence.

Here are the last 20 lines
and I will explain some about what is there:

3333220 ./usr
4312556 ./home/bob
4798220 ./home
6937992 ./fat
75112312 .
Easystreet:/ #

We are seeing 3 different disks here. Any of those designated 10.2, 10.3.
workspace, and datastorage are on different drives.

OK so we can ignore those. We can also ignore their contribution to the
last line.

However I need to be reminded as to what partitions are mounted.
If /usr or /home is on the root FS (or have links that end up there!)
then that could be a source of the size of the partition.

It would have been easier if you had done this in single user mode with
all the other partitions unmounted --

cd /
init 1
login as root
umount -a

then run the du

PS to Dave Rankin. I looked at every one of those log files.
PS to Anton. I also followed your advice to no avail. Nothing strange.

Ok, so nothing in the root's /tmp
But my point about unmounting all the file systems and not running any
processes that might be creating temporary files is part of the
detective process. (I'm perfectly aware of the '-mount option in 'find'
and the '-x' option in 'du')

Next up, "Hidden Files"

One again, do the

cd /
init 1
login as root
umount -a

Now
cd /
find / -name '.[a-z0-9]*' -print | du -s

With a couple of exceptions such as .mozilla, .kde, .gnome and such like
there should be nothing there above single digits.

--
"Meanwhile, come what may, Colonel Moran will trouble us no more. The
famous air-gun of Von Herder will embellish the Scotland Yard Museum,