Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6 - no default gateway needed?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:33:22 +0100
Hans Witvliet wrote:

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 15:02 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Doing my first baby steps with IPv6, I've just now come across the
issue of the default gateway. It's easy enough to set up manually or
with YaST, but apparently it's no longer necessary due to
the "Neighbor Discovery Protocol":"Router Solicitation"?

If you get an ipv6 address from your ISP it might not be needed.

Yes, I have an IPv6 network that was allocated by my ISP. I set up a
default route like this: "ip -6 add default dev ppp0" - it looks like
I would otherwise have to get the box to issue an
ICMPV6:Router_Solicitation, but how do I do that?

I was also interested in local systems though - they would all go
through the gateway machine, but unless I configure a permanent default
ipv6 route, I don't see how they would get it.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.1°C)