Re: [opensuse] Partition filled up
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 03:18:31 -0500
On Saturday 24 October 2009 12:13:32 am Bob S wrote:
Hello Suse people,

Running 11.0 with KDE3.5.

I keep getting constant warnings that my /home partition is 99% full.
Of course it is not. But.......my / partition is,..... according to
KDiskFree . That partition is 15GB. Almost impossible. My /home, /var.
and /tmp are all on there own separate partitions and are a fraction of
their usabe space.

I have looked and looked. I cannot find anything that could possibly take
up that much space on the / partition.

This happened to me a few years ago, on 9.0 or 9.1 and it was eventually
resolved, but darned if I can remember how or what it was or the commands
the good folks on this list suggested that I use to solve the problem.

Anyone for ideas on how to figure out what is going on?

Bob S

Check you /var/log directory. There was a log that wasn't getting rotated that
was filling up root partitions quite a bit. I can't even remember which one it
was.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC