Re: [opensuse] Partition filled up
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:56:04 -0400
Robert Smits said the following on 10/24/2009 01:18 PM:
On October 23, 2009 10:13:32 pm Bob S wrote:
Hello Suse people,

Running 11.0 with KDE3.5.

I keep getting constant warnings that my /home partition is 99% full.
Of course it is not. But.......my / partition is,..... according to
KDiskFree . That partition is 15GB. Almost impossible. My /home, /var.
and /tmp are all on there own separate partitions and are a fraction of
their usabe space.

I have looked and looked. I cannot find anything that could possibly take
up that much space on the / partition.

This happened to me a few years ago, on 9.0 or 9.1 and it was eventually
resolved, but darned if I can remember how or what it was or the commands
the good folks on this list suggested that I use to solve the problem.

Anyone for ideas on how to figure out what is going on?

Bob S

What may be happening is that your trash may be filled and you need to clean
out the trash. I don't use KDE4 but in KDE3 just right click on the trash can
and empty it.

Or /tmp.
Its a good idea to have /tmp on a separate file system.
Its also a good idea to clean out /tmp on reboot :-)

However if you have
/dev/TMP /tmp ext3 noacl 1 3
or similar in your /etc/fstab
then you may have, for some reason, the /tmp on the root fs full of
stuff that you can't see when the /dev/TMP is mounted over it.

BTDT, lost the t-shirt. Heck,it didn't fit anyway.

--
Tortoise: 'How many talking tortoises have you met?'
Brutha: 'I don't know.'