Re: [opensuse] MyDNS Binary for OpenSuSE 11.1
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:33:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2009-10-24 at 08:14 -0400, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

Cristian Rodríguez pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On 23/10/09 23:29, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

Why?! zypper in nothing more than a front end to rpm.

It isn't.. and oh,, it will do dependency resolution and the user will
not be asking this question.

Oh, so I can remove rpm from my system if I use zypper? Wrong, it is a
front end to rpm that happens to do more like dependency checking. And
dependency checking is only valid IF you have the correct repos configured.

And you can not do dependency solving with rpm alone, because the packages do not have the info. The info for dependency solving can only be found on the repos metadata.

The packages nowdays do not say: Hey, I depend on package such and such. No, it says: I need library such and such. Is up to you to find and suply a package (any package) that supplies that library. The command rpm can not, on its own, find them. No longer.

Therefore, the proper, easy, method nowdays is to use zypper instead of rpm directly.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >