Re: [opensuse] Partition filled up
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 08:22:57 -0400
Bob S pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Hello Suse people,

Running 11.0 with KDE3.5.

I keep getting constant warnings that my /home partition is 99% full.
Of course it is not. But.......my / partition is,..... according to
KDiskFree . That partition is 15GB. Almost impossible. My /home, /var.
and /tmp are all on there own separate partitions and are a fraction of their
usabe space.

I have looked and looked. I cannot find anything that could possibly take up
that much space on the / partition.

This happened to me a few years ago, on 9.0 or 9.1 and it was eventually
resolved, but darned if I can remember how or what it was or the commands the
good folks on this list suggested that I use to solve the problem.

Anyone for ideas on how to figure out what is going on?

Bob S

I always cd to / and then use du -sk | sort -n to find the dir using the
most space and then start drilling down till I find the culprit file. It
might not be the best or fastest but it works for me.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998