Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
NAT seems completely superfluous when the networks are dished out
as /64. I did notice that there is a reserved range of
private/local/site-unique addresses (prefix fd), but I'm not quite
sure what that is intended for.
My understanding is those are addresses that can be used within an
organization, either through a router or not, but not accessable by
the world.
That's the weird thing - it doesn't say so. At least not in wikipedia.

Yea, that's a credible source. :)

The 40-bit site-id is supposed to be random, so the unique local
address isn't guaranteed to be unique, but does have a very high
probability of being so. The thing is - todays RFC1918 IPv4 addresses
are obviously not unique, but also not routable, but what's with these
most-probably-unique IPv6 addresses that appear to be routable?
It's been a while since I read about it, but there are different tiers
of addresses. The bottom address range is based strictly on the MAC
address and is non-routeable. There are also other tiers that are
limited to an organization or even to a part of the organization. These
ranges are routeable, but not allowed on the internet, in the manner of
RFC1918. Address ranges in IPv6 is a topic in and of itself.

2001::/16 - Allocated to RIRs
2002::/16 - Allocated to 6t4
fe80::/10 - Link local, those-MAC-derived addresses, at least for
Ethernet. It uses a mechanism knows as SLAAC to come up with, at least
on Ethernet, theoretically unique address.
fec0::/10 - Site local, like 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, etc...
fc00::/8 - Unique Local, allocation still up in the air last I knew.
But these are like a real network address but not routeable (?).
fd00:/8 - Another kind of Unique Local, even more mysterious than
fc00::/8. But you can get one from SixXS who seem to have appointed
themselves as a registrar. This is what we use internally (one of
these) for now.
--
OpenGroupware developer: awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>