Re: [opensuse] Hardware support
i use linux (especially Suse) for quite a long time now and some time
ago it was really easy to get new harware running. Plug in and enjoy.
But these times are gone.

Yes, nowadays it almost always just-works with no need to
get-it-running.

Nowadays i can use hardware that was present
at install time without a problem, but whenever i add hardware later, i
have to puzzle what files to change to get the modules loaded and to get
udevd to give me the right device nodes.

What kind of hardware are you adding?

Did i miss the easy way? How do you get new or changed hardware running?
Today i swapped my mainboard. The hardest thing was to get access to the
harddisks at boot time. I used rescue system to rebuild the initrd
several times, adding more and more modules, but the disk was not
visible in /dev. The solution was to run mkinitrd -A and after that i
can see the disks. This is not a solution!

Replacing a motherboard does not constitute "adding new hardware", it
is something that 99.999% of users will never do and will not happen to
99.999% of laptops/desktops. If you are going to replace a motherboard
you need to know - in advance - what modules you are going to need in
order to boot. I suspect your difficulty was related to the specific
motherboard you installed.

What I/O controller does you motherboard have? Obviously it is not one
supported by the 'standard' modules.