RE: [opensuse] supercool BASH input routine for files and directories with globbing without quoting input
  • From: Philip Dowie <philip.dowie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 06:30:37 +1300
We're probably splitting hairs, but I meant any number of files
regardless of the shell input length restriction. When you don't
use --files-from or similar, your rsync command will exceed the max
input length with e.g. 32000 files or patterns.

Well, to be splitting it, we both have to see what we're splitting. The limit
completely evaded me as I have never hit it and I have done some REALLY BIG
rsync pulls and pushes from server to server. I guess if I tried to do

rsync -uav /usr box2:/big/backup

I might have had more of a feel for what you are saying.

nah, that wouldn't do it, that command line has only one [relevant] token.
however,

rsync -uav /var/spool/cache/squid/*/*/* box2:/squid/backup

That's gonna do it! /var/spool/cache/squid/*/*/* will be expanded out to
produce many, many tokens...

Phil