Re: [opensuse] full-fledge PDF editor for Linux
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:24:40 -0400
Boris Epstein said the following on 10/20/2009 10:36 AM:
Hi all,

Does anybody know of an editor that can do on Linux what Acrobat /
Acrobat Pro can do on Mac/Windows? I have tried to use the PDF Import
extension to the Open Office which appears barely functional - at
least it is so slow as to be almost impractical. I have also tried
pdfedit under Linux which seems to work fine but seems to have rather
limited functionality. For instance, the capability to make bookmarks
or to search through the whole document (as opposed to the current
page) seems to be missing there.

Any tips much appreciated.

Probably not quite AcrobatPro but ...

There's pdftk which does an amazing amount of stuff.
There are also toolkits for PDF manipulation in perl but I've never used
them.

More importantly there are PDF to XXX converters.

I've found PDF to text useful for obvious reasons :-)
I've not found PDF to html much use. You can see on Google how badly
that turns out sometimes.

But if you actually want to make sensible edits, then use PDF to PS.
PDF is really a bastardized form of PostScript anyway, so this isn't
major brain surgery.

There are then quite a number of editors that can do sensible things
with Postscript. Google can help you with that.

--
A lot of managers talk about 'thinking out of the box,' but they don't
understand the communication process by which that happens. You do not