Re: [opensuse] how many folks running suse 11 are heavily into IPv6?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 14:14:05 +0200
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

i can see from the list of issues covered in the novell CLP 11

Good. Those kind of things should be ahead of the curve.

practicum that IPv6 is part of that. so how many people here are
using IPv6 on a serious basis in their IT infrastructure?

+1

already? and why?

It is easier to deploy it in a gradual strategic way than to scramble
when you suddenly have to support it.

+1.

did you really get to a point where IPv4 simply
couldn't do the job anymore?

There is just no reason not to begin phasing out IPv4.

What if your internal/local/RFC1918 network is all IPv4 and works very
well? Is there a reason to start phasing that out? I'm not so sure,
it's certainly not easy coming up with a business case. In particular
if you've still got IPv4-only applications (mysql, asterisk as somebody
already mentioned).

Wrt to the external network, it would be highly desirable to begin a
slow transition to IPv6, but my main worry here is that my upstream
provider does not have the skills required to support me/my company.
There are not very many IPv6 deployments on xDSL yet.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.4°C)