Re: [opensuse] Hostname is different from what I specified
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:17:38 -0400
Chris Lincoln said the following on 10/13/2009 01:00 PM:
I very clearly specified the hostname during the setup to be Caesium;
However, for some unknown reason, OpenSUSE decided to use the hostname
Beryllium instead. The only place I know of where it could have gotten the
name from is my Windows 7 install, which has that hostname (Beryllium).
However, Windows 7 is on a different hard drive. Is there a way to correct
this? How could this have happened in the first place?

Just out of interest ..

Is there a file /etc/HOSTNAME ?
What does it contain?

--
A distracted figure with a huge bushy beard blunders in just as you
speak the word of ancient magic. The man wears loose clothing, and an

His eyes brighten the word you've spoken reaches his ears. "Yes! Yes!
That's it!" he exclaims as he draws out a pen and fills in a row of
squares. "Now my hyperconstrained, double-acrostic, cryptic crossword is
complete, and ready to puzzle others. That was all I needed - just a
simple five-letter word, composed only of the letters 'X' 'Y' and 'Z,'
that would fit here!"

He grips your hand and shakes it fervently. "Thank you! Now that I've
finished with that, I can get on to those other things I've been meaning
to do, such as monkey-wrenching the demolition and saving recreational
linguistics for future generations." He turns away and mutters, just
before he departs, "I hope none of that will involve lying in front of a
bulldozer..."