[opensuse] Problems with re-login
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:44:48 -0400
I have a problem when I log out and log in again from KDE
kdebase4-4.3.1-119.3
libkdecore4-4.3.1-169.1
kdelibs4-4.3.1-169.1
libkde4-4.3.1-169.1
kdebase4-openSUSE-11.1.2-78.7
and so on ...

It doesn't matter if I log out using the KDE toolbar/menu, manually via
kdeinit4_shutdown or do a "init 3" then "init 5". Its always the same.

It takes a long, long time (many minutes) for the login panel to appear
and then when I've entered the password and the login panel has gone
away again a long long time for the various icons to process indicating
KDE start-up before the applications appear. The applications all come
up before the KDE items on the screen and its maybe five minutes before
the KDE toolbar panel at the bottom of the screen appears. Even then,
the various items on the toolbar respond slowly, its a few minutes after
they are clicked that they pop-up.

The xorg level seems fast enough, when things appear they snap up OK.
Its the latency that is the issue.

I haven't drilled down on every details of this, but I have used a
remote login (which was fast enough) via ssh and run 'ps' to try and see
what's going on.

During that time waiting for the login dialogue box and during the time
waiting for the basic KDE start-up icons to step though I see that there
is a process called 'hal-find-by-property' that runs. I understand what
that does, but I don't understand why the delay. The delay does not
occur when the login comes after a boot.

My problem is not simply the delay, it is that the delay occurs after a
logout and when trying to log back in.

HAL seems to be a garbage bin into which a whole pile of things have
been thrown and I find its use quite confusing, exceeding even the old
'sendmail' - and I'm sure you could write a calculator in 'hal' too :-(

But why this delay? Isn't the database indexed? And regardless, why
the delay on re-login and not on login after boot?

/a