Re: [opensuse] NIC installation: What is this error?
  • From: Pit Suetterlin <P.Suetterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:33:04 +0100
Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Thursday 08 October 2009 13:19:45 Stan Goodman wrote:
The NIC in this Vostro 1510 notebook is shown by Network Devices as:
<RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabyte Ehernet Controller>.

The kernel is v2.6.27-9-default.

Having found the PCI ID of the card (10ec:8168), and acquired the
appropriate driver file from the RealTek site, I attempted to install it,
following precisely the instructions given in its readme file, which says
that the driver is intended for v2.6 kernel..

Btw. why do you need this at all? Doesn't the rt8169 driver support this
card? I just looked at the 2.6.31 kernel and there it does support it as far
as I can see,

Yes and no. We have the same chipsets here in PCI-Express cards. They *do*
run with the standard kernel driver r8169. However, we had some weird lockups
under heavy network load. So we're also using the realtek supplied drivers
(r8168-8.014.00) (They'll probably need proper module parameters on load to
set the card to the right mode)

Cheers,

Pit

--