Re: [opensuse] LTS, was: nut package 17 months out of date?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 01:08:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2009-10-11 at 15:54 +0200, Hans Witvliet wrote:

On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 15:24 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

You mean something like giving the XX.3 release Long Term Support?
Sounds nice, though a previous request for LTS has been declined some
time ago... (probably too much work involved for the official staff)

That would be even nicer (and there is an initiative to get it done
outside of Novell). For me, a two year period, like we had till now, would
be enough. With an 18 month period it is impossible to plan the update for
a fixed period of the year (say, the vacation period). It makes things
difficult.

Outside Novell? You realize the enormity of such a job?
perhaps they can make some "vintage" branges on the OBS and put there
the entire 7.3, 8.3, 9.3 (and soon 10.3) trees in.

But how many people would be able/willing to maintain all of those
packages? Can't imagine that Novell is willing to spent any
(human)resourses on it. So it would be a 100% community support thing.
May be for some individual packages, but _ALL_ ??? Mission Impossible.

I realize the complexity, but nevertheless, it is in fact being planned. Search the archive of the project list for subjects like "openSLES", "Long Term Support", "openSUSE LTS/openSLES initiative", "openSLE-openSUSE_LTS-wiki", "Creating a group of conserned Users and Novell partners/longer life time for openSUSE..."...

Yes, there are talks and plans.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.